Welcome to Franklin
2022-2023 Kindergarten Orientation
- Start: 7:30 AM
- Monday Early Release Dismissal: 12:55 PM
- Dismissal: 2:27 PM
Arrival. Breakfast, and Soft Landing
- All students will enter on Lakeside St.
- Car arrivals will begin along the playground, staff will help open doors, and parents will remain in cars
- Bus arrivals get dropped off in front of the building
- Walkers may be dropped off on Lakeside St at Door 1 or 2
- Bus and Walker Drop off: Door #2
- Students can get a breakfast from school or bring from home
- Students will go into their classrooms beginning at 7:15 for Soft
- Landing and Breakfast. The bell rings at 7:30 to start the day
- Students can choose to have breakfast and/or socialize with friends
- All school doors are locked due to security measures; any parents entering the school must go through Door #1 on Lakeside St. and sign in in the office
- It is normal for difficult transitions. There will be many staff
- members to help if your child is having trouble saying goodbye.
- Load money onto your child's account by sending a check (made out to Food & Nutrition or Franklin Elementary) or cash to school OR online at mypaymentsplus.com
- Children choose lunch right away in the morning, and are reminded of their decision at lunch time
- School lunches include milk
- If a child brings a lunch from home, they can buy a milk from school
- Lunch was in the classrooms this year. We are still working through lunch plans for 2022-2023.
There are allergy-friendly options! Make sure to register your child's allergy in infinite campus
Snack varies between classes - some designate a child to bing snack each day, while others have families send individual snacks with their child each day
- We have hand-washing routines and snack time built into our schedules
- Think about a snack that is simple for your child to transport to school, open, and eat in about 5-10 minutes.
- You will get more information from your classroom teacher about snack routines for your child's class
- We always have extra snack at school!
We may have allergy restrictions. Your child's teacher will let you
know in the fall
- Dismissal is at 12:55 every Monday
- Dismissal at 2:27 Tuesday-Friday
- Classroom teachers will work with families to know end of day plans
- 5K students who ride the bus can be dropped off without an adult present
- It is crucial you speak to a person at Franklin if end of day plans change for the same day (do not email/leave voicemail please)
- Pickup is on the playground
- Car pick up is off Potter St. in the parking lot
Supporting Your Kindergartener
- Here are ways to help make your child's kindergarten experience even better!
- 5 year olds need 10 to 13 hours of sleep each night.
- Practice responsibility and independence. You may practice:
- Handwashing, flushing, wiping
- Opening lunches, eating with utensils
- Cleaning up spills
- Shoes, zippers, buttons, snow pants, mittens, and boots
- Be on time! It may not seem important for a child to arrive right at 7:15, but we are setting up lifelong routines. Children who are tardy often:
- Struggle to start their day
- Cause mix-ups with lunch counts
- Are losing opportunity for social and academic growth
- In typical school years, Franklin offers many ways for you to volunteer! For example:
- Sort books
- At lunch and recess
- In your child's classroom as the year progresses
- Field Trips
- MMSD asks for volunteers to get a background check prior to volunteering through their website. It is an extensive process so you may want to begin now.
The PTO is hosting kindergarten playdates at Franklin!
- August 13th 10:00am-11:30am
- August 15th 10:30am-11:30am
- August 22nd 5:30pm-7:00pm
- August 28th 4:00pm-5:30pm
- Visit the Franklin-Randall PTO website (www.franklinrandallpto.org)
- Sign up for the PTO listserv (go to www.franklinrandallpto.org and enter our email under the PTO email list)
- Read the Franklin-Randall Newsletter (sent via email on Fridays)
- Join the Friends of Franklin/Randall Elementary School Facebook page
- Attend quarterly PTO membership meetings to learn about important issues affecting our kids and schools
- Sign up to help with PTO sponsored school events: Glow Ball, Science Day, Winter Carnival...
Picture Tour of Franklin!
Lockers and Materials
- Materials list will be finalized and sent out, as well as posted on the website
- Some materials will be shared and others may be individualized
- Please make sure your child has a big enough backpack for their materials!
- Learning through lessons, cooperative games, and exploration
- Numeral writing and recognition to 20
- Shape recognition and reasoning
- Counting forwards, backwards, and on from a given number
- Addition and Subtraction Problems
We are excited to launch a new literacy curriculum with our students next fall! In our first module, students will learn and practice behaviors for sharing and caring for classroom toys and interacting with peers
We will discuss norms and behaviors through structured conversations, role play, and guided discovery of toys, and analysis of the text Llama Llama Time to Share Toys Galore, Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon, and Playing with Friends
We will also learn through
- Singing songs about playing together
- Engaging in conversations with peers
- Playing with toys and practicing how to share and take care of materials,
- Writing and drawing
Students engage in a variety of work during skills block
- Decodable books
- Language development through exploration
- Foundational games
- Teacher-led groups
- Plants and Animals
- Forces and Pulls
Each week students will have...
P.E. 90 minutes
Art 60 minutes
Library/Reach 60 minutes
Music 60 minutes
When Will I Find Out Who My Child's Teacher Is?
We will send an email to families on Thursday August 25th in the afternoon sharing information about class placement and other back to school information. We will host Ready, Set, Goal conferences the week before and the first week of school for your family to come visit the classroom and meet with the teacher
When Can I See The School?
Friday August 26th from 8-9am
We will host a 'Franklin Fly In' in August where your kindergartener can come meet staff, see their classroom, and the school! This is a great "first step' before the first day of school, where we will encourage kids to come in alone while families wait outside. Families will be able to see the classroom with their child at Ready, Set, Goal conferences and at open house this fall.
The first day of school for 4k and Kindergarten is Thursday, September 1st.
We begin at 7:30am and dismiss at 2:27pm. Doors open at 7:15am.
Keep an eye out for emails from Diane Kopan, our school secretary. The Franklin-Randall PTO may send out information on play dates as well. We will have opportunities to meet the teacher before school in August.